This last Wednesday, we had a multi-stake fireside at the Institute of Religion. Elizabeth Rose from the General Relief Society Board was our guest speaker, and I just thought I'd share my notes. If they're not terribly coherent, I apologize. (Also, I was taking these notes on my iPod, so there may be a few... mistakes in grammar/spelling/etc.)
Glass vs crystal: add one more ingredient to obtain crystal. While both are created by intense pressure and heat, crystal is more durable than glass. It shines more than glass. Also, the closer it gets to the light, the more it will shine.
We are surrounded by darkness, but we don't have to dwell in it. God's light is real and available to all, however we cannot wait for someone else to turn on that light.
The gospel of Jesus Christ is the plan for us to become who it is that God wants us to be. It is a steady succession. Until we become that beautiful flawless state. (Oaks)
1. Pray. (Uchtdorf) flying. When he pressure is greater under he wing than over, that creates lift. When he force pushing us upward is greater than that which brings us down, we will ascend.
2. Scripture study. 1 Nephi 8 vision of the tree of life. Chapter 11 Nephi goes and asks what his father saw. First he believed, then he pondered, then he prayed. At that time he angel came to him. Then Nephi was able to see the lamb of God and had the wisdom of Lehi's dream opened unto him. We can come to that fountain of liking waters through the holy scriptures. The Book of Mormon only has 6 chapters that do not talk about Jesus Christ. Who gets a gift and does not unwrap it? He gospel of Jesus Christ and, in turn, the BoM are gifts given to us.
3. Service. Service gives our lives purpose. Unless we serve others, we really don't have a purpose.
4. Obedience. If we keep the commandments we will prosper in he land, receive truth and light until he is glorified in he truth and light. Beware. Be found doing good things. Don't pick and choose the commandments that we obey
5. Repent. Turn around and put our faces towards God. Rely on His merits to save. The Savior comes down to the pit to lift us onto the ladder to escape the pit.
6. Covenants and ordinances. The covenants we make help us to understand our duty to him. No member of our church can make a serious mistake without first being warned by he Holy Ghost.
(Read Daughters of my Kingdom) the endowment brings us out if darkness and into light.
These are the things that will fill our lives with light, but it has to be a steady effort. Be anxiously engage and be light within will grow brighter and brighter. Full our minds entirely of good and there will be no room for the bad ( talked about a little boy that was afraid of monsters under the bed, so he stuffed all of his stuffed animals under his bed, saying that if he filled the space with all the good things, there would be no room for the bad.)
7. Share your light by administering to others and your light will continue to grow. Ways to share: visiting teaching. Charity (gives, patience, having hope, being resistant towards taking offense, etc.). Share the gospel with each other. Missions (including every member a missionary). Within your own family you can share the light of Christ.
Every morning when you wake up, Turn on the Light!!! Crystals can fill a room with rainbows when even a small amount of light shines through them.